Well then. I kind of forgot about this blog with all the things that have been going on this month. Shame on me! Let me bring you lucky readers up to speed.

I finished up my plaster molded hands but have yet to get the pictures I've taken of them back so I'll put off talking about those till next week. Currently I'm working an an abstracted, autobigoraphical sculpture made of wood.

The theme for my piece was easy to decide on, as I felt exploration has been a big part of my entire life. To represent this concept I thought about a combination periscope/telescope that I had as a kid, and how I might represent that in the size specified (the same length as my body in one direction). I opted to only represent the periscope aspect as a way of joining my childhood and my adulthood... look in one end and see out the other, like looking back at my childhood!


The frame will be rather structural, both to create abstraction as well as to conserve wood. Unfortunately this project must be done on a strict budget as the students themselves must purchase the wood necessary for this project.

As I began prepping the different sections for construction I found that using the large power tools began to get easier and less terrifying... and I didn't sand any fingers off! Hurray!


The whole drilling parts together, the section that should be simple? Don't want to talk about it. Getting everything square so that it looks nice and even? Painful. Realizing that when screwed together your sculpture starts shrinking? Terrifying. I've decided there's much too math involved in this particular project, and it just doesn't please me at all.


Sigh. How am I going to decorate this once it's done?

0 comments:

Post a Comment